Here is a cold soup to add to your menu for the hot summer days ahead. The subtle onion taste from the leeks and the creaminess of the potatoes makes it a favorite either as a first course on a hot summer night or as a main meal for lunch in the garden with a tossed salad and a nice cheese platter.
VICHYSSOISE (serves 8 to 10)
- one tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks, white and light green part only , washed clean of sand and dirt (about 3 medium leeks)
- 1 medium spanish onion chopped
- 1.5 pound yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into one inch chunks (about 5 medium potatoes)
- 6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for a vegetarian version)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chive flowers or chives for garnish
In a heavy saucepan melt the butter with olive oil. Add the leeks and onion and sauteed until wilted, about 3 minutes. Do not let the mixture brown. Add the potatoes and give a good stir to mix all the ingredients.
When cool process to a fine purée with an immersion blender or a food processor. Cool completely in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Add the heavy cream. Season to taste and serve. Garnish with the flowers or chives.
From my kitchen to yours,
CK, la fille du boucher